Monday, April 30, 2007

Which Blog Platform is the Best for SEO?


A month ago, I opened accounts at the three major hosted blog platforms (WordPress, Typepad & Blogger), and wrote two equivalent posts (similar titles and keyword densities) on each platform using made-up keywords. I also hosted a WordPress powered blog on a newly registered domain and created similar posts there (I recognize that this isn’t an entirely fair option because I didn’t do the same for all three platforms). I used all of the default options of the blog platforms.

I then monitored the search results for these fictitious keywords to see how quickly the posts would be indexed and how the posts would rank relative to each other.

The two terms I targeted were: patwrxa & qtyuist, and the four blogs I used were: patwrxa.com, patwrxa.wordpress.com, patwrxa.typepad.com, patwrxa.blogspot.com

1. Time to Indexing

The average time that it took for the posts to be first seen in the search engines . I didn’t include Live.com as it had only fully indexed one of the four sites (Typepad). I also tested and excluded Technorati, which never picked up the Typepad blog.

The rank is my qualitative assessment based on the data, my perception of the importance of the various engines, and how I saw the data change over the week. Yeah, I wish it was more scientific too, but you’ll have to deal.

RankPlatformGoogleYahooGoogle Blog Search
1Blogger2 days10 days1.5 days
2WordPress5.583
3WP on Domain681.5
4Typepad3.521Never Indexed



I had several observations:


  • Blogger gets content into Google’s index the quickest (not surprising)
  • WordPress.com and Hosted WordPress were indexed similarly quickly
  • Some posts jumped in and out of the index.
  • I was surprised to find Typepad indexed slowly on Yahoo, and not at all on Google Blog Search.

Also notable: Yahoo is already struggling with spam on the search terms


2. Relative Ranking

Average Position calculated by taking the average of the two positional ranks.

A note on Yahoo’s numbers. The blogs indexed in Yahoo fluctuated a lot, so I have two numbers listed for Yahoo: the first is the present day rank. The second is the average rank when all pages were in the index (about a week ago). N/I means Not Indexed (Currently)

RankPlatformGoogleYahooGoogle Blog Search
1WP on Domain1.51 (1.5)3
2WordPress2.52 (4)1.5
3Typepad2N/I (2)N/I
4Blogger4N/I (2.5)1.5

OK, these results were a lot less consistent between platforms and between search engines. I did notice several things:

  • The blog on the domain patwrxa.com did the best for the keyword ‘patwrxa’.

  • I didn’t see any major sandboxing issues with the new domain. Or, the blogs all faced similar sandbox issues.

  • There seems to be an inverse relationship between rankings on Google Search and Google Blog Search. This may be coincidence.

  • The rankings did bounce around a bit. The numbers I posted above are the current rankings and generally represented the steady state.



Summary - the Best Search Optimized Blog Platform?

WordPress. Although the assessment is more qualitative than quantitative. It is indexed quickly in all engines and ranks well in all engines. If you host your own version of WordPress, you’ll find the search performance to be similar (maybe even better) to a WordPress blog hosted on wordpress.com.

Disclaimer: Although I think it is informative, this is far from a scientific test. To properly conduct a test, you would need to create tens of blogs on each of the platforms and test each with real keywords in addition to the manufactured ones - time/skills that I definitely don’t have.


Originally Posted By: http://www.naffziger.net/blog/2007/04/29/which-blog-platform-is-the-best-for-seo/

17 comments:

ClickHerder said...

Interesting. I note you did not test Movable Type on its own domain. Chances are it is consistent with the results for typepad. It certainly seems similar to the results I've experienced with my self-hosted MT blog: it is cursed with Google Blog Search invisibility.

Unknown said...

Very interesting post.What are all the seo steps you have taken for improving your blog ranking?


e commerce web design

admin said...

Nice data. Keep up your good work.

Search engine optimization

Unknown said...

I suggest you to go for wordpress.Because wordpress having very good seo plugins.


UK Search Engine Positiong Blog

admin said...

Word press platform is simply best because here you can make your blog search engine friendly, only one drawback is you cant use adsense on this platform.

seo consultant

Unknown said...

Glad I stumbled into this article! Finally, got what I was looking for!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it smile I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

Melbourne SEO

Anonymous said...

Very nice post.Keep it up for your good work.wordpress having very good seo plugins...
Search Engine Positioning Consultants

Unknown said...

You can set up your Google AdWords Account by following the guidelines laid down in this regard as quickly as a few minutes. Once your account is in place you will have access to the world’s biggest pay pay per click network. Your Adwords would then be seen by hundreds of people all over the world. For more details go to http://www.adwords.org.in/.

Hexa_troubleshoot said...

hello there thanks for sharing the information for the which blog platform is the best for seo and it is interesting and Word press platform is simply best for the blogging and if you want to more information visit site: http://www.hexainfosoft.in

Unknown said...

I have read whole article and I found some interesting tips for SEO over here, Its really great post.
manual article submission

seo melbourne said...

The blogs indexed in Yahoo fluctuated a lot, so I have two numbers listed for Yahoo: the first is the present day rank.he numbers I posted above are the current rankings and generally represented the steady state.
seo sydney

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Excellently written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a much better place. Please keep it up!

SEO Company

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Blogger is one of the best and hot platform for SEO. It's really good and most of blog are published in blogger. In wordpress gives more of then plugin about SEO. It's really good benefits for our site.

Adni said...

Well i would suggest you go for Wordpress because that is the best CMS available in the market , easy to use and further you can add plugins to get the SEO and other things done just by installing the particular plugin .
Seo Consultant

Unknown said...

Great blog and this information is very useful to everyone. SEO Companies Melbourne